- The goal of this project is to extend efficient use of the Vulcan Community Health Centre for the next 25 years!
- This space will provide the citizens of Vulcan County with improved access to primary health care services and will greatly assist the community’s efforts to attract and retain physicians.
Agreement with Alberta Health Services
- Since its inception in 2011, the Trustees of the Vulcan County Health & Wellness Foundation (VCH&WF) have worked diligently to bring the dream of expanding the Vulcan Community Health Centre to a reality.
- This redevelopment plan would retain the current operational model that utilizes the close operational connection of the hospital and Emergency Department to the Medical Clinic.
- In 2015, Alberta Health Services signed off on an agreement allowing the Foundation, in partnership with the Town of Vulcan and Vulcan County, to start raising the funds that will see an 800 square metre wing added to the Health Centre.
- The new wing will be added to the north side of the existing Health Centre and will accommodate the Medical Clinic, Rehabilitation Services, and the Adult Day Support Program.
- Please note that there are NO plans in place at this time to increase the number of acute care beds or long-term care beds in the hospital.
- The Vulcan County Health & Wellness Foundation, in partnership with the Town of Vulcan and Vulcan County, is raising funds to add an 800 square metre extension to the Vulcan Community Health Centre.
- This project will have two phases which we plan to do simultaneously.
Phase 1: Construction of the New Wing
- The new wing will be the home of a 520 square metre Medical Clinic – this will provide enough office space, examining rooms, and equipment to accommodate up to 8 full-time physicians.
- This new space will make it easier and more efficient for physicians to work on any given day which, in turn, will increase patient access to their own family physician.
- In addition, Rehabilitation Services and the Adult Day Support Programs will move from the basement to the main floor of the hospital.
- The Foundation has expanded the original plan to have a Wellness centre in the new build. This space will have a multipurpose room, which could be used for the residents, Christmas parties, family get-togethers, it also could be used for a number of wellness programs. The meeting rooms will focus on education in the future. Today everyone has to travel somewhere else for Healthcare classes, these high-tech rooms will be able to offer education the people of our County without the travel on new and exciting Healthcare advances.
Phase 2: Renovations of Health Centre
- The laboratory will expand into part of the existing Medical Clinic space, making it a much more functional and efficient work area for staff.
- The Emergency Room Medication area will be renovated.
- Public Health/Home Care/ Chronic Disease Management (CDM) will move into the space currently occupied by the Medical Clinic.
- The Mental Health Department will have a more private and dedicated area in the space vacated by Public Health.
- The Palliative Care suite will be relocated to a space adjacent to the Nursing Station. The Palliative Care suite will be designed to make it more comfortable for the patient and the patient’s family and friends.